Thursday, June 2, 2011

{Coordinator Corner}: Stop Motion Videos.

As a child, I was a big fan of making little flip books to entertain myself during math class, um, I mean, my free time.  I have a particularly fond memory of making one in which a tree gets struck by lightening, and then strikes back.  I'm sure that in real life it was not as amazing as it is in my memory, but I am certain that this art form is MOMA worthy.

This may perhaps be why I have such a strong affection for stop motion videos.  If you aren't familiar with stop motion, or stop action, as it is also known, it is a technique where videos are made up of a series of still images in which an object is posed to create the illusion of movement.  This technique has been around forever; it's how King Kong destroyed New York City in 1933!


A more modern expression of this technique uses photos of people taken in rapid succession and then pieced back together.  "But Emily, people can move.  What is the point?" you may be asking.  Simply, because it looks really REALLY cool.  Maybe you've seen one of "OK, Go!'s" music videos?  Or, this amazing video by Oren Lavie.



This video has always made me smile, so, of course, when I saw the wedding video below, I was in L-O-V-E.



Have any of you done a stop motion video for your wedding?  Anyone planning on doing one? Send it our way! We'd love to see it!

1 comment:

  1. I will now be imagining everything in stop motion for the next week........

    ReplyDelete